district logo

History

 

Articles

 

Photos


Click the small photos below to view a larger size photo.

BD School 1909

Black Diamond School 1909
With permission from the University of Washington Libraries, Special Collections (WAS0917)

BD school 1916

Black Diamond School 1916

With permission from the collection of the Renton History Museum,#1967.015.0925

BD school bus 1916
Black Diamond School Bus 1916
With permission from the Black Diamond Historical Society

BD High School 1929

Black Diamond High School circa 1929
Photo courtesy of Louis Zumek and the Black Diamond Historical Society

"New" BD Elementary School 1963

The "New" Black Diamond Elementary School
September 1963

BD elementary school 2008

Black Diamond Elementary School
September 2008 - 45 years later!

The library and additional classrooms were added to the building in 2002

 

Schools' Timeline

  • The first school in Black Diamond was established November 6, 1885 as District #43.
  • The Black Diamond School District #132 was established August 5, 1901.
  • The Black Diamond School District #160 was established August 1, 1906.
  • The Black Diamond School District #190 was established August 8, 1916.
  • The Black Diamond High School was built in 1921.
  • High School students began to attend school at Enumclaw High School in 1943.
  • The elementary students went to school in the wood building at the same time as the brick building in September 1943 to about 1960, due to a large attendance and needed classroom space. The old wood building was razed after the opening of the new school building.
  • Ground breaking ceremonies were held for the current Black Diamond Elementary School in 1962.
  • September 1963 the current school building opened for approximately 220 elementary students - 1st through 8th grade.
  • The old brick high school was razed in 1963.
  • On July 21, 1975 the Black Diamond District #190 was dissolved and the territory was annexed to Enumclaw School District #216.