district logo all students achieving at high levels

About Us

Mt. RainierLocated in the foothills of the Cascade Mountains, Thunder Mountain is the newest facility in the Enumclaw School District having opened in the fall of 2000. The students attending this teaching experience are from grades six, seven and eight. Students who attended Black Diamond Elementary School, Westwood Elementary School, Kibler, and those who live on the north side of 432nd Street would attend Thunder Mountain Middle School.

The facility is organized into three “neighborhoods” where students and teachers are members of grade level teams. Structuring the school in this way has allowed for the development of close relationships between students and staff members, and stronger partnerships between teachers and families. This, in turn, allows staff members to
provide immediate support to students who would benefit from additional challenge or who require additional support to succeed.

Students at Thunder Mountain Middle School are encouraged to participate in extracurricular activities and athletics to help facilitate a sense of connectedness with school. Our extensive athletic and after-school activity programs offer students a number of opportunities to participate in a wide variety of after-school programs.

 

Neighborhoods

Newaukum

6th Grade - Blue
Origin of Name - Newaukum Creek is the second largest tributary to the Green River and is located near the city of Enumclaw. Coho and Chinook salmon are the principal species using the Newaukum Creek system.

7th grade - Green
Origin of Name - Franklin was a coal mining town established in the 1880s located northeast of Enumclaw along the Green River. By 1919 nearly all mining had ceased at Franklin and residents vacated.


Krain

8th Grade - Purple
Origin of Name - Krain was an unincorporated community in south King County, Washington, just north of Enumclaw. The area (often referred to as Krain Corner) now centers on the intersection of SR 169 and SE 400th St. An inn and restaurant has been located at the corner since 1916, and the nearby Holy Family Krain Cemetery dates back to at least 1901.

 

brick entrance signNewaukum neighborhood blue wall hallway