McKinney-Vento (Homeless Students)
In accordance with the McKinney-Vento Act, Enumclaw School District is required to provide homeless children access to educational services and opportunities to enroll in, attend, and be successful in school.
If you live in any of the following conditions you and your family may be eligible for assistance under the McKinney-Vento Education Assistance Act.
The McKinney-Vento Act defines homeless children as "individuals who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence." The act provides examples of children who would fall under this definition:
- Children and youth sharing housing due to loss of housing, economic hardship or a similar reason
- Children and youth living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camp grounds due to lack of alternative accommodations
- Children and youth living in emergency or transitional shelters
- Children and youth abandoned in hospitals
- Children and youth whose primary nighttime residence is not ordinarily used as a regular sleeping accommodation (e.g. park benches, etc)
- Children and youth living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations
- Migratory children and youth living in any of the above situations
This chart in PDF format shows McKinney-Vento in the Enumclaw School District. The parent brochure is available in English and Spanish, and the McKinney-Vento Housing Questionnaire Form will be available soon.
For more information about this federal program, please contact OSPI at 360.725.6505 or via email at HomelessEd@k12.wa.us. Additional information is also available on the following websites:
- Washington State Requirements and Guidance for Education of Homeless Children and Youth
- Homeless Education section of the OSPI website
- National Center for Homeless Education at https://nche.ed.gov/
- National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty at http://www.nlchp.org/
- National Association for the Education of Homeless Children and Youth at http://www.naehcy.org/ or contact our McKinney-Vento Homeless liaison Gerrie Garton at 360.802.7104.